- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, left whole and gently crushed
- 10-12 button mushrooms (optional)
- 2 stick celery, diced
- 3-4 fresh parsley stalks, roughly torn
- 2 bay leaves
- To make the vegetable stock, add the olive oil to a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, leek, and carrot and sweat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add enough cold water to generously cover the vegetables and turn up the heat to high.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, celery, bay leaves and parsley and stir together. Bring to the boil and boil gently for 15 minutes.
- Pour the stock through a sieve. Discard the vegetable pieces or reserve for another use. The liquid stock is ready to be used. It can be stored in the fridge for up to three days or frozen in batches for future use.
To make chicken stock, just follow steps 1-5 as above. At step 2, add the leftover bones and skin from a cooked or raw chicken carcass to the saucepan along with the vegetables.