All toddlers can put on the picky eating show from time to time; it’s then that you need to up your game if you want to get some healthy food into their little tummies.
As challenging as it can be getting your toddler to eat well, this is actually a great time to start teaching them about healthy eating habits. So start them off right with these top tips!
- Try to give your toddler 3 healthy main meals and 2-3 healthy snacks – don’t worry if your toddler doesn’t eat from every food group at every meal. As long as your little one’s diet is balanced overall, they’re doing fine.
- Keep offering new foods – the constant screams of “NO” can be very off-putting but don’t be discouraged. It can take up to 10 tries before your little one accepts a new food.
- Make meals fun – toddlers eat with their eyes. Keep colour and appearance to the front of your mind when preparing meals and snacks – particularly if you have a fussy eater on your hands!
- Don’t force feed – toddlers are all about independence, so offer your tot healthy choices and allow them to pick.
- Have healthy family meals – toddlers learn a lot from imitation so set a good example and hopefully they will follow suit.
- Don’t worry if your little one only eats certain things – for now! As long as it’s not sugary snacks it’s fine to let your toddler go on a short “food lag,” continue to present your tot with a variety of healthy options and he or she will eventually outgrow this phase.
For more information on a balanced diet for toddlers call our free phone careline at 1800 570 570.