It is important to prepare your baby’s bottlefeed according to the manufacturer’s guide on the pack. Below is a standard guide for safely preparing a bottlefeed, however for some specialised formulas these guidelines may vary so always read the on pack instructions or contact us if you are unsure.
- Wash hands and sterilise all bottles and teats according to manufacturer’s instructions. Wipe clean all surfaces to prevent the spread of germs.
- Boil 1 litre of freshly run water. Leave kettle to cool for 30 minutes, unless otherwise indicated on pack. Do not use repeatedly boiled water or artificially softened water.
- Measure required amount of water (refer to on-pack instructions) into a sterilised bottle.
- For accurate dosage, always use scoop provided and level off powder with built-in leveller (if provided). Alternatively, level with a clean, dry knife. Do not press/heap extra powder into scoop.
- Add correct measure of powder to water (usually 1 scoop for every 30ml of water). Adding too many or too few scoops can be harmful. The feeding instructions on the pack will give you an indication of the number of feeds your baby may need per day.
- Screw cap on bottle and shake well for 10 seconds to dissolve powder in water. Remove seal and replace with sterilised teat.
- If necessary, cool feed under cold running water. Test temperature of milk by allowing some drops to fall on your wrist. If it feels comfortable, it should be just right for your baby. Do not heat feeds in a microwave as hot spots can occur and cause scalding.
- Use made-up feeds within two hours. Once used, discard any leftover milk, wash bottles and teats, and re-sterilise, ready for next feed.
Using bottled water
You may need to use bottled water to make up feeds if you have a water softener system, have been told to boil all tap water before use or are on holiday abroad. Here are some guidelines if you do need to use bottled water to prepare a feed:
- Use still water only, never fizzy or sparkling water
- Use bottled water that has a sodium content of less the 20mg per litre as shown on the label
- Always boil the bottled water before using it to make up feeds
If you have any questions about preparing bottlefeeds please contact our Careline team on 1800 570 570 and one of our baby feeding advisors will be happy to help.