Having a baby is one of life’s greatest gifts, and the ability to create, nurture and eventually give birth to a brand new human being is nothing short of a miracle. Yet, when you actually think about the actual process of giving birth, fear, pain and how to avoid it is all you can think about? It’s OK, that’s perfectly normal. Something as simple as the word labour can bring upon fear. The very definition of labour is the “physical or mental work, especially of a hard or fatiguing kind.”
Hypnobirthing is the term used to describe the use of hypnosis in childbirth. This approach to giving birth is designed to provide a calm and natural birth experience by teaching pregnant women a variety of techniques to optimise their body’s birthing abilities.
Through practiced deep breathing, visualization, prompts from their partners and labour comfort measures, Mums-to-be can train their brain to cause a deep relaxation response on demand, and be in control of their labour.
Hypnobirthing recognises the desire of all women to have a safe, gentle, and satisfying birthing experience for themselves and their babies. The focus moves away from the doctors and nurses and moves to the woman, her baby and her partner. It also promotes relationships: between Mum and baby, between Mum and her partner, and between baby and their Dad.
If you complete a hypnobirthing course, it is said that you will develop a greater confidence in the birthing process. Hypnobirthing is suitable for all women and, whilst some women do approach hypnobirthing with scepticism, most are pleasantly surprised to find how well it works to keep them calm, relaxed and confident in their body’s ability to give birth naturally and it’snot about making people feel bad about using pain control or having an epidural or a c-section.
Most women start hypnobirthing classes at around 30 weeks into their pregnancy. You can learn hypnobirthing techniques at any time but the more time you have to practise the techniques the easier they will come to you when you need them. It is also a good idea to go to classes rather than teach yourself, as learning a new skill is always easier and more fun when with other people, giving you hints and advice to make sure that it all feels right for you.
Benefits for you during pregnancy:
- A more positive relaxed and enjoyable pregnancy
- Feel much more in control during the pregnancy
- Less stress
- Self-empowerment and restored confidence
- Promotes deeper bonding of Mum, Dad and Baby
- Enhanced quality of sleep
- Postnatal recovery for mother and baby is often much quicker
Benefits for your baby:
- Experiences less stress, is more calm & content because you are too
- Your baby will thrive better &sleep better
- Your baby will be more alert and content with good feeding patterns and sleep well
- Hypnobirthing babies experience a gentle safe birth with no trauma to recover from.
- Have a deeper bonding experience with you and your partner, while in the womb which then continues in a natural, easy way once the baby is born.