We are all guilty of going all out on Christmas day and end up cooking enough food for an army! To ensure the Christmas dinner leftovers are used, and not to go to waste, here are some quick and easy recipes suitable for your toddler and all the family (for when the sandwich isn’t enough):
Turkey & potato curry
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp mild curry paste
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 300g leftover turkey, diced
- 300g leftover cooked potato (either boiled or roast), diced
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- small pack coriander, roughly chopped
- rice or naan bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a high heat. Cook the onion and pepper for 3-4 mins until starting to soften and brown slightly.
- Stir in the curry paste and garlic, then cook for another 1-2 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and 150ml water. Bring to the boil and bubble for 5 mins.
- Turn the heat down, stir in the turkey and potatoes, and cook for another 2-3 mins, then season and add the mango chutney.
- Scatter with coriander and serve with rice or naan.
Leftover turkey casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried sage, or 5 sage leaves, chopped
- 2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 400g-500g leftover turkey, shredded
- about 350g leftover roasted vegetables like roast potatoes, parsnips, celeriacs and carrots, chunkily diced
- Fry the onion and apple in the oil until softened in a casserole or deep pan.
- Stir in the sage for 1 min, then stir in the flour. Gradually stir in the stock followed by the mustard and honey.
- Bring up to a simmer and stir in the turkey and roast veg.
- Cover and gently simmer for 15 mins until turkey is piping hot.
- Serve with mash.