Salmon and other oily fish are good sources of iron. Did you know that compared to an adult, kg for kg, a toddler needs 4 times the amount of iron?
Ingredients: (serves 6)
- 350g fresh salmon fillet
- 50g button mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 350ml Cow & Gate growing up milk or usual milk
- 1 medium sized potato
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 1 bunch chopped chives
- 1 onion
- 25g Cheddar cheese
- Juice of ½ a lemon
Please note: Remember not to add salt to any of your toddler’s recipes. Please check ingredients carefully as some products may contain allergens that you are unaware of. For example, processed meats may contain milk proteins, and some vegetable oils and margarine’s can contain soya.
- Pre heat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Place the raw salmon fillet in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer uncovered for 8 minutes.
- Whilst the fish is cooking, cook the potato in boiling water until soft. Strain the potato and mash.
- Drain the fish, reserving the cooking liquid for later.
- Chop the onion, carrot and mushroom and heat in a saucepan with the oil. Cook gently for 3 minutes, and then add the flour.
- Cook for a further minute then slowly add 250ml of the reserved cooking liquid to form a smooth sauce.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add the grated cheese.
- Flake in the fish and fold in the chives.
- Finely chop the hard-boiled egg. Add the lemon juice and a pinch of white pepper.
- Pour the mixture into an oven proof dish (8”x4” / 20cm x 10cm). Top with the mashed potato and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to a toddler friendly temperature before serving
This recipe is not suitable for freezing.