Did you know that your toddler needs 2-4 servings of fruit and vegetables every single day? This tasty beef & vegetable stew recipes serves 6.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 480g steak pieces
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp flour
- 200ml pureed tinned tomatoes
- 200ml hot water
- 6 mushrooms
- Pinch of parsley
- Pinch of thyme
Please note: Remember not to add salt to any of your toddler’s recipes. Please check ingredients carefully as some products may contain allergens that you are unaware of. For example, processed meats may contain milk proteins, and some vegetable oils and margarines can contain soya.
- Dice carrots and onion. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sweat the diced carrots and onions on a gentle heat for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- In a frying pan brown the steak pieces on all sides in a little oil.
- Once the carrots and onions are soft, add in the flour, mix well and cook for 1 minute. Add the water gradually, stirring all the time. You will see the stew thicken as you go. Then add the tomatoes.
- Now add the meat into the saucepan with the herbs. Stir well and then simmer the stew for 1 ½ to 2 hours with the lid on. Stir regularly to ensure it does not stick. This stew can also be cooked in a small casserole dish in the oven at 150°C / 300°F / Gas Mark 2 for about 2 hours.
- Chop the mushrooms and sauté in a little oil and add to the stew 30 minutes before the end of cooking time.
- Serve with mashed potatoes for a tasty, healthy, iron rich meal. This recipe will make enough for 6 toddler meals, so freeze any extra in small containers, marked with the date. Remember to defrost thoroughly before re-heating.