How much milk should my breastfed baby be having?
The short answer is – all babies are different, there is no set schedule a baby should be sticking to each day. You’ll soon get to know your own baby’s feeding pattern.
- Give breastfeeds on demand throughout the day.
- When your little bundle is home from hospital and settled in, they should feed 8-12 times (and sometimes more) per day, so it can mean feeding every 1 1/2 to 3 hours.
- If feeds are less than an hour apart, it may be that your baby isn’t getting enough of the hind milk part of breastmilk, so they may need to feed a little longer on the first breast.
- The hind milk is produced towards the end of the feed and is higher in fat and can be very satisfying for them. They need both fore and hind milk so keep them on the same breast till its empty, before switching.
- Allow them to feed to appetite. Some babies may only feed on one breast and if that’s the case just start the next feed on the other breast.
- The amount of milk you make will increase or decrease depending on how often your baby feeds.
Signs to tell you that breastfeeding is going well for you and baby:
- Take note of your baby’s nappies – they are a great indicator that your baby is getting enough. Your baby should have at least 6 wet nappies each day and be passing soft yellow stools, (after every feed or at least 3 times per day (up to 6 weeks old))
- Your baby is content and satisfied after most feeds
- Your baby is gaining a suitable amount of weight (and your healthcare professional is happy with their weight gain)
- Your breasts and nipples aren’t sore
Remember it’s a learning process – for everyone! It doesn’t matter if it’s your 1st or 5th child, they are all different. If you have any questions, you can call us on our Freephone careline 1800 570570 and our team of advisors will happily answer any questions you may have.
Any more questions?
Our specialist baby advisors and experienced mums are here to talk and ready to help whenever you need them. You can call us or reach us on Live Chat 8am-8pm Monday-Friday.