How to give your baby more vegetables
Sneaky tips to get more vegetables into your baby's diet
When your baby first started weaning, they may have loved a whole range of pureed veggies. But as they get to grips with more flavours and textures, it doesn't take long for them to realise that there are more exciting things to eat in the world than plain old carrots and broccoli!
It can take a little creative thinking to convince your baby to eat their greens, especially if they're going through a fussy phase. So we thought we'd put together a few tried-and-tested tips for mums who've been there!
- Add a little chopped onion or cumcumber to your baby's egg or tuna sandwhich fllings
- Stews, risottos, rataouliie, and mild curries are a great way to disguise lots of veg in one bowl!
- Add grated carrot and chopped celery to spaghetti Bolognese
- Add extra peas to their fish pie
- Try covering veggies like cauliflower or broccoli in a tasty cheese sauce made especially for babies
- Serve soft, steamed veggie sticks with a delicious dip like hummus for extra flavour
- Cut vegetables into exciting shapes, like cucumber stars - foods that they can play with are lots of fun!
- Combine new veg with their favourite fruit to help introduce more savoury tastes e.g carrot and apple Purée
- Similarly, a great way to introduce stronger-tasting greens is to mix them with a root veg e.g spinich and sweet potato mash
- Don't be put off introducing vegetables that you dislike - but try not to show your negative feelings, as this may discourage your baby from trying them out for themselves
Any more questions?
Our specialist baby advisors and experienced mums are here to talk and ready to help whenever you need them. You can call us or reach us on Live Chat 8.30am-5.30pm Monday-Friday.