I'm desperate for more sleep
Tips to help you get more sleep
- If you can work out some kind of routine where you put your baby down for a nap at regular times during the day and get the chance to rest yourself, this will be a big hurdle crossed. Pick a time that will work best for you both – perhaps after their mid-day feed and schedule in a ‘sleep session’ or quiet-time.
- Lots of mums find that remembering the little tasks they need to do makes it hard for them to drop off, so one good tip is to write things down to move them out of your mind before you go for a nap.
- A soothing bedtime routine for your baby is essential and can work wonders. Try and quieten the mood at least an hour before it's time for them to go to bed. A bedtime routine means that you’ll have time for yourself to rest and relax, knowing your baby is safely tucked up.
- Whenever your baby cries for you in the night, keeping the room darkened will make it easier for you to go back to sleep when you go back to bed.
- Take it in turns with your partner to look after your baby on weekend mornings. One of you can have a lie in on Saturday and then the other can catch up on sleep on Sunday morning. Hopefully you’re both sharing the night-shift to some extent anyway!
Tips to help overcome tiredness
Staying active during the day
Whilst it’s important that your baby has regular naps you also both need to be active during the day. Any regular exercise will give you more energy and also make it easier for you to sleep or grab a power nap.
You don’t have to join a gym - simply getting out in the fresh air will do. So go out with the pushchair - anything that will tire them out for the evening. And if you need to perk yourself up try a cool shower, aromatherapy oil or scented candles.
Eating for energy
Eat well and stick to slow-release energy foods like wholemeal pasta or fruit that won’t pick you up and then plunge you into a lethargic dip afterwards. And drink plenty of water!
Lastly, if you are feeling tired and at the bottom of the heap, just remind yourself that this isn't going to last forever. Give your baby a cuddle and remember how much they’re worth it.
Any more questions?
Our specialist baby advisors and experienced mums are here to talk and ready to help whenever you need them. You can call us or reach us on Live Chat 8.30am-5.30pm Monday-Friday.