New Cow & Gate Formula Changes explained 2019
We are updating some of our formulations to meet new EU legislation which sets the nutritional composition of all formulas*. Due to ongoing research into infant nutrition, the new legislation reflects the latest scientific understanding and these updates apply to all formula brands, including Cow & Gate.
To ensure our products are always available to you, the updated formulations will gradually replace the current ones from October 2019.
We understand any changes to your baby’s milk, no matter how big or small can raise questions. Please be reassured that baby formula is one of the most strictly regulated and tested products in the world and both our current and soon-to be reformulated Cow & Gate products have been rigorously tested and are of the highest quality. For more information about these changes, please see below:
*Infant milks, follow on milks, and specialised milks. Growing Up milks are unaffected by the legislative changes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are we updating our formulas?
- We are updating our Cow & Gate formulations to meet new EU requirements for infant and follow on milks*. The legislation that sets requirements for the nutritional composition for infant, follow on formulas and specialist milks is changing in the coming months and this means that all formulas will have to contain certain levels of some nutrients. These changes apply to all formula brands, including Cow & Gate. Growing Up milks are unaffected by the legislative changes.
- The main reason for this legislation change is to reflect the latest scientific understanding in infant nutrition and to harmonise rules across all European member states.
*Infant milks, follow on milks and Specialist milks
What is changing?
- There will be changes to the mandatory levels of some vitamins, minerals and other nutrients to meet the requirements of the updated legislation. One of the key changes in the updated legislation is the mandatory inclusion or increase of DHA*, a type of Omega-3 fatty acid.
- As a result of the changes, you and your baby may notice some small differences in the smell, appearance or taste of the product but this is completely normal.
- We understand any changes to your baby’s milk, no matter how big or small, can raise questions so please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or concerns.
*DHA: docosahexaenoic acid
Is the new Cow & Gate formula milk safe?
- Please be assured that the quality and safety of our products are our number one priority.
- The key purpose of infant formula regulation is to ensure all infant formula has the appropriate nutritional composition and are safe for use.
- These regulation changes are based on latest scientific evidence and opinion on what is best for infant nutrition.
- All of our updated formulations comply with EU regulation which ensures formulations are suitable and safe for babies.
Can I still buy the old Cow & Gate formula?
- Our updated formulations will gradually replace the previous formulation in all retailers from October 2019 onwards
- The availability of the previous formulations will vary depending on the retailer.
How do I move my baby onto the new Cow & Gate updated formulations?
- All babies are different, and some may benefit from moving onto to the new formulation gradually.
- If you have any concerns about moving to the new formulation straight away, we recommend that you replace one bottle of your baby’s current milk with one bottle of your baby’s new milk each day, keeping all of the other feeds to the previous one.
Will my baby notice a difference with the updated Cow & Gate formulations?
- When changing to a new formulation, some babies may need a little time to adapt as they may experience slight changes in digestion, however this should only be minimal and temporary.
- If you have concerns about moving to the new formulation straight away, we recommend for you to replace one more bottle everyday with the new formulation.
- Please do not hesitate to contact our careline for further information, or you can speak to your healthcare professional.
When are the changes happening?
- Our Specialist Milks (Cow & Gate Comfort, Cow & Gate Anti Reflux and the Cow & Gate Nutriprem Range) will gradually change to the new updated formualtions from October 2019 onwards.
- All other Cow & Gate formulas will change from the end of 2019 onwards and we will have more information available on our website closer to the time.
- All products must be compliant with the latest legislation by 22nd of February 2020.
What is DHA / Omega 3?
- Omega-3 is a type of Long Chain Polyunsaturated acids that have been named essential fatty acids because the body is unable to make them, and they can only be obtained from foods so it essential to have them in your diet.
- Long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids(LCPs) are the building blocks of fats (technically called lipids).
- DHA stands for docosahexaenoic acid. DHA is a type of Omega-3 fatty acid.
Does this mean all Cow & Gate formulas will now be the same?
- No, not all formulas will be the same. As a result of the updated legislation, the amounts of some specific vitamins, minerals and other nutrients will change across all formulations in all brands.
- However, manufacturers can voluntarily add ingredients.
- Some of our products contain additional ingredients and different levels of nutrients which make our products distinct.
How do I know which Cow & Gate products contain the updated formulations?
- Our updated packs will be clearly labelled with ‘UPDATED FORMULATION’ so you know when your formula has changed.
Do I need to prepare the updated formulations differently?*
- When making up a feed, it is important to follow the on-pack instructions closely.
- The preparation instructions for our Cow&Gate liquids formulations have not changed.
- The preparation instructions for our Cow&Gate powders formulations have been updated so that you now need to shake the bottle immediately, vertically and vigorously for at least 10 seconds until the powder is dissolved. This is because the powder dissolves better if the bottle is shaken immediately and this helps to ensure that every bottle is made up correctly.
*excluding Cow&Gate nutriprem and other pre-term products
Where can I go for more information?
- We completely understand any changes to your baby’s milk, no matter how big or small, can raise questions.
- Please contact our careline at any time using the details below to talk to one of our friendly advisors for more information, or you can speak to your healthcare professional.
Any more questions?
Our specialist baby advisors and experienced mums are here to talk and ready to help whenever you need them. You can call or live chat us, 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday.